Monday, April 20, 2009

Author Study

One of my favorite methods for exploring and studying literature is through author studies.  I remember in school many times that I was completely wrapped up in and excited about an in depth author study.  There are so many hands on activities that really motivate the students and get them involved in language arts.  In literature studies, though, it is important to find a study that will allow for both male and female students to get "hooked."  I know that the Gary Paulsen books are very popular with boys and the Laura Ingles Wilder ones are always a hit for the girls.  It seems like it is hard to find something that appeals to both genders.  I know that Rohald Dahl books as well as Series of Unfortunate Events are both good examples of books that appeal to both sexes.  I would like to find out some more resources to find out about conducting an effective author study that is appealing to both boys and girls.  
Theme studies are also very effective in the elementary school classroom.  Growing up, I recall themes such as biographies, multicultural studies, utopian societies, and the Great Depression.  These were not always the most interesting, but as a teacher I can see how appealing this kind of study can be. You can easily integrate the curriculum with other subjects and kill two (or many) birds with one stone.  I would like to find more resources for both of these types of classroom content studies. Let me know if you know of any, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment